Placed I have Worked (Outside UK)

Friday, March 27

Travel Trials

OK so generally not a good week for my commute to Brussels.

The first issue was as I was checking in at LCY airport I received an email from the carrier VLM saying they had rescheduled my flight for the following week.

This did not particularly faze me as I had plenty of time to discuss any issues with the client. In fact, I was very happy with VLM for the electronic advanced warning.

Unfortunately when I landed I received a similar message for the following three weeks flights.

At this point I called the as usual fantastically helpful customer service people to see what was going on.

The bad news was that they had decided not to offer the early morning flight any longer. Now this did not cheer me up, but I am constantly advising and helping businesses to make hard decisions so I cannot really complain (much).

So in the end I have had to cancel the flights and am back to traveling to Brussels by Eurostar. Not a complete killer, despite the four am get up on Monday, but it means I will get home an hour and a half later on Friday. I get little enough time with the family that this is painful.

Well I got over that as I had a good work week on project, as the system was being belligerent and the team hit it head on and won. (Sounds so much better than we found a work around for a bug)

My next trial came today as around lunch I was informed by one of my coworkers that the local bus drivers had just gone on strike. The issue for me is I needed to get from one side of the airport where I work to the other side where the passenger terminal was. Of course you may have guessed the only way to do this is to get one of the shuttle busses! After much consideration (and panic) the issue was solved by another very kind coworker that drove me around the airport.

So at least the drama’s are over for the weekend, and I’m home to recharge for next week's issues!

 

 

Tell me what day it is and I will tell you where I am

Official mine of usless information

 

No comments:

Post a Comment